Wednesday, May 29, 2013

First Mother's Day (Week 5, Day 2)

Happy Mother's Day!


Sunday we celebrated our First Mother's Day! My husband does a great job of making it a special moment not just for me as a new mother, but for us as a new family.

Mother's Day obviously takes on a whole new significance  to me this year as I celebrate my first, as well as teaches me the true significance of celebrating my own mother. A good family friend wrote in a card to my husband and I shortly after Madeline was born "Now you truly know how much your Mom and Dad love you". 

Those words really hit home as to how days like Mothers Day will forever be changed for me. I think about our decision to have children, the nine long months of carrying a child and the love that grows for them each day, and the process of delivering a baby and seeing your child for the first time. I think of my mom, and all the incredible, heart breaking, extraordinary and scary milestones she's witnessed as she raised me and my sisters. I'm overwhelmed by the precious moments a mere 5 weeks have given - I can't even imagine the impact of all the moments she has stored up over our combined lives. I'm now thirty plus years into my life and finally able to understand the true significance of my mother's love.

I'm not sure I'll ever truly be able to put into words how much I care for and adore my daughter, but I know now that someday, a long time from now, when she starts a family of her own, she will understand how much her mother loves her.

No comments:

Post a Comment