Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Baby Sniffles (Week 9, Day 3)


My fears came true - Maddy got my cold. I'm feeling like the #1 worst parent for getting a cold and transferring it to my helpless two month old. Luckily, it's just a cold and no fever or full blown disease, and luckily, my mother is now staying with us for a week and can help me deal. But watching my relatively easy going baby change from smiling and happy to snorting and crying is painful - and not being able to immediately fix it is torture. We call the doctor, and do all the things they advise, and try to get Maddy to sleep as much as possible. She's mostly comfortable, with a few moments of crying when she can't get her sinuses figured out. And now we wait for her to get better. 

Thank goodness Moms like me also have Moms to help us get through the hard times!

Maddy having a little steam in the bathroom, and discovering her feet!

It's now the wee hours of the morning and I'm up with Maddy working on her recovery. Her sleep schedule is out the window, as is her duration - she is down from her 5 hour sleep window back to three - which is just fine with me if she just gets better!
Today I notice that Maddy has smelled funny since she got her cold - not dirty or needs a bath, but just doesn't smell like she usually does. This reminds me of when I was growing up, and my mom picked me up from school after being sent home sick. On the way home my mom told me I didn't smell right, and I distinctly recall thinking she was nuts. How could she smell anything different about me when I was sick?

It's only taken me a few decades to finally get what my mom was talking about. I didn't understand until I had kids of my own what she meant. And now here I am, sitting in my my baby's dimly lit room at 2AM, shaking my head and laughing at myself for thinking my mother was so silly all those years ago, and yet again connecting with her in a way I never would have understood until I had kids of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment